Besides been grateful for the past year, experiences, loved ones, we also associate Thanksgiving Day with FOOD! To the degree of getting the famous food coma. Pies, Turkey, casseroles, mashed potatoes, gravy, eggnog… Here I share some side dishes healthier options for Thanksgiving, less guilty food coma?
MASHED PURPLE CAULIFLOWER
1 medium purple cauliflower, cut in florets.
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary
1/4 of milk substitute of your choice (not a sweet one)
salt & pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Boil the cauliflower florets. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover, allowing the cauliflower to steam for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain & dry the cauliflower and set it aside. In a pan heat and add in the olive oil and garlic. Saute briefly, just until the garlic is softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade. Add the “milk”. Season with salt and pepper, and the rosemary & thyme.
- Process until the mixture is smooth and resembles mashed potatoes. You can add a splash of water if needed, but usually the cauliflower already has enough moisture that you won’t need it. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt & pepper if desired.
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup full-fat coconut milk (can)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and/or paprikaBoil the chopped sweet potatoes. Remove from heat and strain the excess water. In the meantime pre heat over 350F.
- Return the sweet potatoes to the pot they were cooked in and drizzle 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil on top of them. Using a blender mash/mix the potatoes until smooth. Slowly pour the coconut milk in, followed by the vanilla extract. Once it has been mixed well, season as you like. Transfer the mashed mix into a baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss the walnuts in the remaining oil or butter. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and then give it another good mixing. Evenly cover the mashed potato mixture with the topping, put in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes.
SPINACH CRANBERRY SALAD
16 oz baby spinach
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pf shredded carrots
1 tbsp chopped scallots
vinaigrette of your choice or just olive oil and vinegar for the dressing.
- Mix ingredients in a bowl.
Pic: Debbie Hudson, Unsplash